Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Finished: Pawn of Prophecy

Well, I thought I had already written a post about this book the first time I read it, but a quick check of the archives shows that I apparently didn't. Huh.

(via The A.V. Club)
Just like the first time I read, I enjoyed Pawn of Prophecy a lot. I know that The Belgariad (and most of David Eddings' body of work) aren't looked upon very well because I guess they're generic, but honestly? Don't care. Sometimes there's nothing wrong with generic fantasy.

While I did enjoy it, I felt that parts of the book dragged and Garion's putting up with Polgara's bullshit was just a little annoying. I would have told her off mid-point in the adventure and damn the consequences. :P The lack of action is what dragged the story, in my opinion. There's only two fight scenes in the book (three if you want to get really technical and count the scuffle with Brill. Four if you count the boar). Then again, the book was aimed at children and young adults, so of course none of them are going to be gory.

Rating: 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...